It was a good day--The Great Wall, errands, cartoons
for PTS. I FINALLY finished sanding the floor downstairs and have
varnished 2/3 of it. The fumes were killing me, though, (yes, yes,
windows open, lots of ventilation. It's just stinky stuff (varsol +
pine resin)) so I had to stop. I will finish the last third tomorrow
morning and then hopefully do a second coat in the afternoon.
Today's
title refers to the book I started last night, "The Man in Brown,"
written by Maurice Walsh. It was written in 1946 and to say it is
'dated' is to be wonderfully understated. It's a white man's world,
according to the author. The characters use the most ghastly 'modern'
slang (modern if it were 1946, I guess.) Reading this is as painful as
reading something written in 'leet speak' (13375p34k).
However, the story itself is fairly interesting. It also gives me a
new perspective on older people: If the views and actions of the
characters were considered completely normal and acceptable at the time,
then many people say, seventy or above, must find today's world
incomprehensible.
I may, or may not finish the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment