I
think I have had enought pet-centred blogs for a while now. I have
mentioned 'once or twice' about the fact that it is chilly here now. (Of
course, I don't help things by having a door open on the first floor
and one open out to the roof. Hmm, on that note, I will go upstairs and
Close The Door. Back in a sec.)
I mention the cold weather because have I 'sensitive' skin: My skin does not like cold. For my skin anything under 10 C (50 F for my American friends) is Not Good. So what does this mean? It means that if, at these temperatures, I wash dishes without rubber gloves (my normal method), the skin on the ends of my fingers most distressingly cracks. Two days ago my skin showed signs of discomfort thus I chose not to wash the dishes. This afternoon, on my way back from Lourdes, I stopped to buy some rubber gloves. (There is a point to this meandering story, bear with me.)
So, I got home. I scooted around the house making sure all of my furry friends were here and well. I then pulled on my rubber gloves and attacked my two-day mountain of dishes. The point: I was listening to 'Wonderful Tonight' by Eric Clapton. As the opening bars played I experienced one of those 'perfect moments': I was at my beloved home, with my dear pets (all still alive!), listening to wonderful music, sipping a glass of wine and I felt an incredible surge of joy washing a bowl. I particularly noticed this moment because, frankly, washing dishes doesn't usually (ever!) make me feel so joyful.
I read the expression 'a perfect moment' years ago. When I came across this term I realised that every day is full of potential 'perfect moments', some of which I noticed, some I missed. To experience more joy, I simply needed to become more aware of these moments.
Today has been special because there have been a few perfect moments. One was at Lourdes as we made peanut butter cookies. (Thanks! to CP who shared her recipe with me.) The whole afternoon was good, making cookies with my favorite co-volunteer and one of my old Lourdes friends, J. As this was a new recipe for all of us we really worked as a team and boy, the cookies were yum!
1. Rolling and pressing.

2. Baking.

3. Mmmm, ready to eat!

4. Going, going, nearly gone...

On my way home I called Mr Du, the manager of the wood-furniture factory to ask him if I could pick up some wood. The wood that I burn in my stoves comes from this factory, they are the scraps of wood too small (mostly 25 cm long or less) that they cannot do anything with. Just before I reached the factory I noticed the moon hanging in the sky, looking incredibly large. Another perfect moment. I stopped to take a few photos before continuing on to collect some wood.

Oh! Another, well, not perfect moment, but fabulous moment? A few months ago I mentioned that someone had put up some HUGE storage sheds right on the edge of the river road. They were then dismantled (yeah!) but then, two weeks later, 'remantled.' (Is 'remantled' a word?). Rats. Well. It would appear that either (a) last night they were hit by a meteor or (b) someone destroyed the buildings. I don't know if these sheds are legal or not (I suspect not) AND they are very ugly so I don't feel sorry for the owner at all, ha!


OK. Last thing. I found this really neat snake skin in the basket that holds my 'house slippers.' Don't you think snake skins are just so cool? How does the snake wriggle out without the skin breaking apart?

I mention the cold weather because have I 'sensitive' skin: My skin does not like cold. For my skin anything under 10 C (50 F for my American friends) is Not Good. So what does this mean? It means that if, at these temperatures, I wash dishes without rubber gloves (my normal method), the skin on the ends of my fingers most distressingly cracks. Two days ago my skin showed signs of discomfort thus I chose not to wash the dishes. This afternoon, on my way back from Lourdes, I stopped to buy some rubber gloves. (There is a point to this meandering story, bear with me.)
So, I got home. I scooted around the house making sure all of my furry friends were here and well. I then pulled on my rubber gloves and attacked my two-day mountain of dishes. The point: I was listening to 'Wonderful Tonight' by Eric Clapton. As the opening bars played I experienced one of those 'perfect moments': I was at my beloved home, with my dear pets (all still alive!), listening to wonderful music, sipping a glass of wine and I felt an incredible surge of joy washing a bowl. I particularly noticed this moment because, frankly, washing dishes doesn't usually (ever!) make me feel so joyful.
I read the expression 'a perfect moment' years ago. When I came across this term I realised that every day is full of potential 'perfect moments', some of which I noticed, some I missed. To experience more joy, I simply needed to become more aware of these moments.
Today has been special because there have been a few perfect moments. One was at Lourdes as we made peanut butter cookies. (Thanks! to CP who shared her recipe with me.) The whole afternoon was good, making cookies with my favorite co-volunteer and one of my old Lourdes friends, J. As this was a new recipe for all of us we really worked as a team and boy, the cookies were yum!
1. Rolling and pressing.

2. Baking.

3. Mmmm, ready to eat!

4. Going, going, nearly gone...

On my way home I called Mr Du, the manager of the wood-furniture factory to ask him if I could pick up some wood. The wood that I burn in my stoves comes from this factory, they are the scraps of wood too small (mostly 25 cm long or less) that they cannot do anything with. Just before I reached the factory I noticed the moon hanging in the sky, looking incredibly large. Another perfect moment. I stopped to take a few photos before continuing on to collect some wood.

Oh! Another, well, not perfect moment, but fabulous moment? A few months ago I mentioned that someone had put up some HUGE storage sheds right on the edge of the river road. They were then dismantled (yeah!) but then, two weeks later, 'remantled.' (Is 'remantled' a word?). Rats. Well. It would appear that either (a) last night they were hit by a meteor or (b) someone destroyed the buildings. I don't know if these sheds are legal or not (I suspect not) AND they are very ugly so I don't feel sorry for the owner at all, ha!


OK. Last thing. I found this really neat snake skin in the basket that holds my 'house slippers.' Don't you think snake skins are just so cool? How does the snake wriggle out without the skin breaking apart?

No comments:
Post a Comment