Sunday, August 26, 2012

April 11, 2007: Press conference, with details

Well, friendies, brace yourself for some pretty odd photos. Ok, here I was, getting ready:

I like Chinese style clothing and have quite a few pieces at home. This outfit came from a costume rental place. Unfortunately the buttons (traditional cloth knot-and-loop) kept coming undone. Aaron, the editor of 'Enjoy' and my chief translator of the day eventually had to staple me into my costume. It was a little intimate and I think he was a little uncomfortable. At one point he said, "Sorry, I'm a bit clumsy." "Don't worry," I answered. "If I think you're trying to feel me up I'll knee you in the groin." This made him laugh and feel more comfortable.
Then I had my makeup done and a wig put on:

Wow, talk about scary makeup! She covered over my eyebrows and gave me new ones. And there was so much foundation on my face, it was really caked on. My wig had a bun at the back:

And a curl at the front:

Here are the main characters of the show: Sean, Grand Aunty, (I've forgotten the pudgy little boy's name. Steve--help!), Smarty and Jenny.

The artist is Taiwanese and started producing comic books about 50 years ago. The Chinese woman who was the other Grand Aunty got quite emotional on stage (this was part of the "Oh, let's forget the script and do what we want" thing) and was saying how deeply touched she was to have the opportunity to play Grand Aunty's voice for the cartoons as she had grown up with Grand Aunty and it was such an honour and blah blah blah... Aaron said she is a 'C' list actress (but perhaps an 'A' list voice artist?). She was taking this opportunity to be in the limelight.

(Notice how I am standing there holding my stupid basket (not by the handle as the other one broke!) no longer smiling. I'm not smiling because I had smiled so much already that my cheek muscles were begining to tremble, I couldn't 'hold' a convincing smile anymore! I'm also not smiling because I'm wondering what the heck is going on--huh? this isn't in the script! What should I say next? Help~~~!)

After we were finished there were more speeches, then we came up for photos with important people. The only one I recognised was the artist, on the right of this photo. His tie has the cartoon characters on it, very cute!

Then we had the television interview. One of the questions was "Is there a slogan that represents Grand Aunty?" (Like "What's up, doc?" for Bugs Bunny.") The other Grand Aunty couldn't think of anything, so I said, "Yes, SEAN~~~!" Sean is Grand Aunty's border and is always doing dumb things. He also doesn't pay his rent on time, so Grand Aunty often shouts at him. They asked the other Grand Aunty to shout Sean's name in Chinese (something like "AH SHIEN GUH!") then they asked me to do it again. I forget sometimes that my vocal cords are very 'fit' so I well and truly yelled "SEAN!" Heh, they all moved back half a step. I didn't watch the news last night as I don't get any channels where I live. I will, however, buy a paper and see if there is anything there.
Here's a photo of me and one of my coworkers, Franklin:

I know I moaned a bit about the other Grand Aunty, but I watched what she did and tried to copy her a bit. When they took photos of her she did these cute, cartoony poses that really looked 'right' for Grand Aunty. I tell you, Taiwanese babies come out of the womb just knowing how to pose for photos. This is me with the second in command at my work:

And here is a photo of ME! The REAL me! After I changed and cleaned myself up I went up and took a photo of myself. Nobody recognised me, heh heh heh!

So, it was an interesting experience but not one I really want to repeat in a hurry!
..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~.. ..~*~..
[Later] I spoke with Aaron this afternoon. He said he watched the news. Our story was less than a minute. Can you guess what I was doing on the news? Oh, yes, I was seen shouting "SEAN~~~!" Mmm, very nice, very cool. Not. Thank goodness no one would ever connect my face with that performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment