
On Sunday I finally had my much delayed Easter party. The guests were all Taiwanese and very keen to do the Easter thing. Irene (one of the engineers) brought Min, a woman she had met at a self-development seminar. They arrived first. After a bit of chatting and making of a quick cake, I thought we might go for a walk while waiting for the others to arrive. A cursory glance at their shoes told me that walking would have to be limited to level surfaces. So we walked a few hundred meters along the edge of the resevoir, then down a set of stairs to a mini-temple. The path continued down to the water's edge where they could see, well, water. And a few guys fishing, some egrets, perhaps a snake eagle or two. No boats (or technically any fishing, either!) as this is the drinking water for Xindian.
I got a call to say that Sophie was on her way down to my house--oops! So I left Irene and Min and raced back to the house. Sophie and I walked back to Irene and Min. I did quick introductions then returned to the house again, this time to take the cake out of the oven. I then hung up the Easter eggs on a tree near the front door. I borrowed about 25 painted plastic eggs on ribbons from Lourdes last Thursday. They are really cute and look like real decorated eggs.
Irene, Min and Sophie came back. We did a mini tour of the house/garden, then sat down to blow out the eggs. Min had used a proper 'egg blowing out' tool before which I scornfully pooh-poohed. Real women poke holes in their eggs and blow the innards out, like energetic mouth to mouth resucitation! They all got into it; I think Sophie blew out about five eggs, she was looking pretty red in the face by the end.
We went to play a little in the stream for a bit. There were Tong Blossoms everywhere which Sophie enjoyed throwing at us. (I suggested that throwing dry ones was a better idea than wet ones.) Laurie, Thomas and Ethan rocked up at about 3:15. They joined us at the stream for more paddling and Tong Blossom throwing. Eventually we went in and enjoyed our afternoon tea: just baked cake, cheeses, crackers, olives, pickles, pate, coffee, tea, juice. Mmmm, I like afternoon teas.
And then we started decorating. I had food dye in bowls, a candle for dripping wax (but no funnels, I'm not that fancy), paints and brushes. The eggs turned out beautifully! (My camera is broken, *sob*, so I am waiting for the others to send me some photos.)
Then we had the Easter egg hunt. It was hilarious! I had prepared mini ziplock bags of chocolates, one for each person, each bag with a name on it. The rules were simple: You had to find your own bag of chocolates without help. If you found someone else's bag you weren't to not touch it or say anything about it. If you cried out that you had found someone else's chocolates you would forfeit your own. (Yes, as a matter of fact, I did teach little kids for quite some time. Why'd you ask?)
I sent everyone outside for a minute while I hid the bags then called them back in. They were so sweet, dashing here and there, looking for their treats. Min found a bag and held it up with glee. I pointed out that she had found Sophie's bag: they both looked rather horrified. I laughed and told Sohp to go outside so I could hide her chocolates again and told Min to look for HER bag. Sophie came back in and resumed hunting. After a few minutes of growing frustration, Sophie needed a clue as I had put her chocolates in the fireplace ('Somewhere that gets very hot.') So did Laurie. But then again, Laurie's chocolates were behind a picture hanging on the wall.
We were going to have egg and spoon races (in fact, ping pong ball and spoon races) but ran out of time...another day. A good time was had by all (including the hostess.) And, having guests over made me get off of my computer chair and clean the house. A very Good Thing!!
No comments:
Post a Comment