Sunday, August 26, 2012

April 26, 2007: Dinner on the fly


The other evening when I came home from work I discovered approximately 800 fruit flies doing their thing around my kitchen garbage. Yech. The garbage bag was not full and I knew I was going to generate more garbage that evening, so I put the garbage can right by the kitchen door. The approximately 800 fruit flies followed along.

An hour or so later, when I went to throw something out, I noticed that a rather clever spider had spun a very basic web about 10 cm above the trash can. I admired his style. It seemed as though there were only about 400 fruit flies buzzing about.

Fast forward another hour: no more fruit flies! The spider was still there, looking rather as if he were thinking, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Having the enquiring mind that I do I left that rather horrid can of rubbish where it was overnight. In the morning there were still no fruit flies and the spider had packed up his web and moved on to greener pastures. Cool, eh

PS This photo of a spider is not the one that was munching on fruit flies, it's another one I found on a walk with the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment