Sunday, August 26, 2012

April 4, 2007: Little Fella and dozing cats

Little Fella has a bad habit of draging his right hind leg with his toes knuckled under. He's been doing this for months, with the result that he has an open pressure sore on his right toes. Although it has never become infected I don't think this is a good thing! I went to the vet about this as it is slowly but surely getting bigger. He told me to put some gooey brown stuff on it (an iodine gel, I think), followed by a very thin breathable-but-not-sticky layer of plastic bandage, topped with cotton and then stretchy bandage. Which I did.
After the second day his leg was swollen and the wound was infected. Rats. He's been on antibiotics for five days which has reduced the swelling somewhat. However the vet is concerned that LF is licking the wound so it will never heal. We tried a funnel-thing around his neck. Didn't work as his nose is long enough to poke over the edge and he can still lick his paw. So the vet then suggested a muzzle and keeping LF in a cage (to prevent him from walking on his paw) until it healed. I thought this was a DREADFUL idea, it would be weeks until everything was ok! So instead, I cleaned the wound, put gooey stuff on it and a thin bandage thingy (yes, I know, remarkably unscientific vocabulary), then the splint and then covered the lot with stretchy bandage. Overnight he grew a very thin layer of skin. I took a photo into the vet and he was delighted! So we shall continue this method until his foot heals.
His leg is still a little swollen so he will probably need another six days of antibiotics (second vet visit tomorrow.)
Oooh, it's Tomb Sweeping Day and they just let a bunch of fireworks off at the temple down the road, must check and see if LF is spooked or not.
[Later] I guess he got used to fireworks over Lunar New Year, he's fine.
This is a photo of Xiao Man Tou, Little One and Sprout looking up from their (first) morning nap. Ah, nothing beats having a morning nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment